The 13th Annual Guy Daniels Memorial Surf-Off signals the end of summer where participants and spectators to help local students dip into their goal of higher education.
The 13th Annual Guy Daniels Memorial Surf-Off is scheduled for August 18 - 19, 2012. The two-day contest is open to all ages, male or female. Entry does not require membership in any organization. Everyone is invited and encouraged to bring tents and chairs. Concessions will be free to contestants and for purchase to all beach-goers.
The contest is held in memory of Guy Daniels, a life-long Surfside Beach resident who died in 1999 at the age of 19. A student at the College of Charleston, Guy spent his summers as a lifeguard in Surfside Beach and worked at a local surf shop.
Because of the Guy Daniels Memorial Foundation, 40 local students have received over $45,000 in scholarships to attend such schools as Princeton, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina University, Horry-Georgetown Technical College and Guy’s alma mater the College of Charleston.
- Dates: Saturday, Aug. 18 and Sunday, Aug. 19
- Times: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Location: 13th Avenue South, Surfside Beach
- Entry Information: Entry fee is $25 and includes one surfing event; $5 for each additional event.
- Deadline to enter is Aug. 16
- Entry forms can be found at www.surfoff.com and at local MYR surf shops