Flickr user Roo Reynolds
Since the "big banks" were financially bailed out by our money back in 2009, those same banks have shown record profits and have raised rates. One of the most recent fees, led by Bank of America, is a $5 monthly fee to use your ATM card.
A small group of the Occupy Wall Street demonstrators are starting to spearhead a movement to take money out of Bank of America in particular. However, even Amalgamated Bank, the bank used by the New York Occupy Wall Street folks, is being looked at by the FDIC regarding how they do some of their business.
So what are we, the common person to do?
There may be hope for us in the form of small town, homegrown banks and credit unions. We, here at TheDigitel, are all about "keeping it local" from produce and meats to shopping. So, why not banking?
We've compiled a list of local and regional banks, and credit unions. We'll keep adding to the list as we become aware:
- Main Office: 991 38th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach
- North Myrtle Beach Office, 700 Main Street
- Conway Office, 2069 Highway 501 East
- Garden City Office, 2636 South Highway 17 Business
Tidelands Bank - Two locations in the Myrtle Beach area
- Myrtle Beach Branch Office: 1312 Professional Drive
- Murrells Inlet Branch Office: 11915 Plaza Drive
Horry County State Bank - Thirteen locations in the area, even one in Tabor City, NC
Waccamaw Bank - Three locations locally and twelve just across the boarder in North Carolina
Coastal Carolina National Bank - One location in the heart of Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach, 2305 Oak Street
South Atlantic Bank - Two locations for this MBACC 2011 Winner for small business of the year.
- Main Office: 630 29th Avenue North
- South Strand Office: Murrelles Inlet, 11019 Tournament Boulevard
Sandhills Bank - One location in the area.
- North Myrtle Beach: 1020 Highway 17 North
What about Credit Unions?
There has been a lot of talk and press for Credit Unions lately. Credit Unions were once thought of as an exclusive way of banking used only by employees of certain businesses and government but that isn't the case any longer. For most local credit unions all you have to do is live in the area (and or surrounding counties).
So, what is a Credit Union?
- A credit union is a cooperative financial institution that is owned and controlled by its members and operated for the purpose of promoting thrift, providing credit at competitive rates, and providing other financial services to its members. Many credit unions exist to further community development or sustainable international development on a local level…
- Credit unions differ from banks and other financial institutions in that the members who have accounts in the credit union are the owners of the credit union and they elect their board of directors in a democratic one-person-one-vote system regardless of the amount of money invested in the credit union....
- A credit union's policies governing interest rates and other matters are set by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by and from the membership itself. Credit unions offer many of the same financial services as banks, often using a different terminology; common services include: share accounts (savings accounts), share draft accounts (checking accounts), credit cards, share term certificates (certificates of deposit), and online banking....
- Credit unions are "not-for-profit" because they operate to serve their members rather than to maximize profits. But unlike non-profit organizations, credit unions do not rely on donations, and are financial institutions that must turn what is, in economic terms, a small profit (i.e. "surplus") to be able to continue to serve their members....
Local Credit Unions:
Carolina Trust - Four locations locally and two in surrounding cities
- Myrtle Beach:1010 21st Avenue North
- 4254 Holmestown Road -RASCIL Deposit-Taking ATM
- Surfside Beach: 1610-C Hwy. 17 Business South
- Conway: 2518 Main Street
Santee Cooper Credit Union - One location locally
South Carolina Federal Credit Union - Must live in Georgetown county or others, not available to Horry Couny residents
- Georgetown Plaza Branch: 1251 North Fraser Street
- Georgetown Branch 1701 Highmarket Street
- Maryville Plaza ATM 2256 South Fraser Street
- Georgetown Branch: 1530 Bourne Street
- Pawleys Island: 49 Jetty Drive