Starting with a lunch today, the library in downtown Beaufort is kicking off more than four weeks of free cultural music events.
Documentary Film Series: Films will be shown at the Beaufort Branch Library with no admission charge.
- Thursday, January 5th, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. “Al Otro Lado”
- Thursday, January 12th 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. “Awake My Soul: the story of Sacred Harp”
- Thursday, January 26th 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. “Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music”
- Thursday, February 2nd 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. “Through Many Dangers: The Story of Gospel Music”
Lunch and Listen: Performances begin at Noon in the Auditorium (Bldg 12) on the Technical College of the Lowcountry Beaufort Campus, 921 Ribaut Road. Participants are encouraged to bring their lunch to eat in the Student Center prior to the performance. All performances are free.
Wednesday, January 4th , Noon “Sea Island Spirituals” with the Jones Family singers
Wednesday, January 11th Noon "Girls with Guitars: Women in Country Music” with Amanda Brewer
Wednesday, January 25th Noon “Sounds of Barbershop” featuring Tidal Fource
Wednesday, February 1st Noon “Livin' Music: A Gullah/Geechee Journey of Harmony” featuring Queen Quet
Saturday at the Smithsonian: A series of free music programs suitable for the whole family to enjoy every Saturday at theBeaufort Branch Library at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, January 7th 2 p.m. “History of Hand Drumming and Drum Circle” with Sam Jones
- Saturday, January 14th 2 p.m. “Shape Note Singing with Lowcountry Sacred Harp” . Note: This event will be held at Grand Army Hall (706 Newcastle Street)
- Saturday, January 21st 2 p.m. “Appalachian Stories and Songs” with John Fowler
- Saturday, January 28th 2 p.m. “Tunes and Tales” with Irene Goodnight
- Saturday, February 4th 2 p.m. “Gullah Stories and Songs with Aunt Pearlie Sue”
Sunday Afternoon Concert Series: The following concerts will be held at ARTWorks (2127 Boundary Street). There is no admission charge. Donations are encouraged.
- Sunday, January 8th, 3 p.m. FolkUs and The Hungry Monks in concert
- Sunday, January 22nd, 3 p.m. Blue Mudd in concert
- Sunday, January 29th, 3 p.m. Drink Small Trio in concert
The library is at 311 Scott Street.