Image by Amanda Click / TheDigitel
On Saturday, September 18th, let Jim Martin, gardener, horticulturalist and Executive Director of the Charleston Parks Conservancy school you gardening newbies on the in's and out's of vegetable gardening.
The course will take place at a private Lowcountry garden, but details on that won't be disclosed until you register for the class. The class is scheduled from 8 to 11:30 a.m. and will cost just $25.
The one day course will cover:
- Getting your soil ready to plant.
- Warm and cool season vegetables.
- Seeds and transplants: Where to find them and how to grow them.
- The good and bad of insects and diseases in the vegetable garden.
- Healthy ways of growing a vegetable garden.
- Vegetables in Containers
This basic how-to course will be both presentation and demonstration.
Update September 13:
We've stumbled upon the premiere episode of Down & Dirty, a monthly video podcast about gardening in the South with Jim Martin.
In this first episode, Jim discusses and demonstrates what it will take to get your veggie garden ready for fall.