In USL PRO semifinals, Battery season comes to an end with 3-1 loss to Orlando

Image by Charleston Battery

The Charleston Battery were eliminated from the USL PRO playoffs falling 3-1 to Orlando City in overtime Saturday night at the Citrus Bowl.

After conceding just before half-time the Battery fought back through a Nicki Paterson goal to take the match into overtime. Orlando scrambled the go-ahead goal home in the 98th minute and then scored again late on to put the game beyond Charleston’s reach.

The Battery finished the game with ten players after forward Dane Kelly was shown a second yellow card minutes after the second goal went in after tangling with Orlando goalkeeper Miguel Gallardo at the edge of the box.

The number one seeded Orlando City move on to face the Richmond Kickers next Saturday night in the USL PRO semifinal round.

The Battery were forced to defend for much of the first half and goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra was involved several times making three good saves to keep the scores level.

Dykstra couldn’t do much to prevent the first goal however after Lucas Neil picked out an unmarked Max Griffin at the near post leaving Griffin with a simple tap-in to put Orlando ahead.

It was more of the same after the break as the Battery defended for long spells. Coach Mike Anhaeuser inserted veteran midfielder Stephen Armstrong on the hour mark and it paid immediate dividends after the Battery earned a corner kick.

Armstrong whipped the ball into the middle and Patterson snapped his header past Gallardo into the far corner.

Charleston attacked with more purpose for the remainder of regulation but could not find the crucial second goal and the game headed into overtime.

Orlando went ahead through Dennis Chin in the 98th minute after Charleston failed to clear the ball from a near-post cross. Chin was quickest to the loose ball and smashed his shot home from inside six yards.

Lucas Neil put the game beyond the Battery’s reach with a 117th minute goal as the ten-man Battery ran out of energy. The ball was worked out to the far side of the box, midfielder Jaime Watson squared to Neal who finished past a diving Andrew Dykstra.