After truck damage to Sottile Theatre sign, theater has a new more historical marquee

Image by Ian May A file shot of the the Sottile's former marquee in August 2008 prior to being hit by a truck, see the new one here.

After a truck damaged the Sottile Theatre's marquee a couple years back, the College of Charleston dismantled it and began working to replace it with a new one more reminiscent of the original Gloria Theatre's marquee.

Well today the new sign is in place and officials are quite please with the architectural homage. The Post and Courier has a photo and write-up on the new sign; take a read here.

The theater originally opened in 1927 as a movie house and ran until 1975 when the then Gloria Theatre showed its last film, "The Little Prince." Shortly after the defunct picture palace was purchased by the college and used as storage until 1987 when it reopened as the Sottile.

You can get a lot more history on the theater at the College of Charleston's page, or on SC Movie Theatres Magazine which also has archive photos.

Filed in