Image by Flickr user etohaholic
A long time back it was big news that the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce endorsed Democrat Vincent Sheheen for governor over Republican Challenger Nikki Haley.
It was an unusual move to not go with the candidate from the party that is usually seen as the pro-business group, especially when the Republican candidate had said she wanted to dispose of the corporate income tax.
Well those fractures seemed to disappear for a long time, but now allegations of affairs, failing to pay taxes after an extended deadline, and unsubstantiated sources of money seem to be taking their toll.
Here's a few links I offer as evidence.
- A light-hearted column in The Post and Courier dubbed "S.C. Republicans better listen before it's too late."
- A video report of social conservatives fraying on Nikki Haley.
- A report about a string of Republican defections to Sheheen.
- A report about Republican frustrations with Haley.
- A long-time Republican leader called out Nikki Haley for not addressing her moral character.
Update: I'm certainly not the only one drawing these connections.
We've got a month to go, and we'll see if this a fluke or a growing trend.