Flickr user chickencat
Update December 20: With 11 more days to go, they're still looking for more coat donations.
So if you have an extra coat, be sure to drop it off at one of the locations below.
First reporting: For the past two decades Beaufort's Furniture Warehouse Design Gallery has tried to help those in need avoid the costly expense of having to buy a winter coat.
That effort continues this year with FWDG's 21st Annual Coat Drive.
Over the years FWDG has collected thousands of jackets and sweaters and redistributed them out into the community. This year's campaign runs through December 31 with a goal of collecting 4,500 jackets, coats and sweaters to distribute to needy in Beaufort County.
Over the past two decades, FWDG founders Larry and Robyn Mark have shared more than 37,000 gently-used coats with Beaufort County families in need. FWDG has once again chosen HELP of Beaufort, Bluffton Self Help and the Deep Well Project on Hilton Head to distribute the donations to families in need.
Donations can be dropped off starting now at the following local locations:
- FWDG, Perimeter Walk, 745 Robert Smalls Parkway, (Hwy 170), Beaufort
- Beaufort County BB&T at Beaufort, 95 Port Republic Street
- Beaufort County BB&T at Bluffton, 2 Burnt Church Road
- Beaufort County BB&T at Hilton Head Main Branch, 1008 William Hilton Pkway Unit A
- Beaufort County BB&T at Lady's Island, 1 Kemmerlin Lane
- Carolina Stamper, 203A Carteret Street, downtown Beaufort
- Battery Creek High andHilton Head Island High.
Business, civic clubs, churches and other organizations often hold Coat Drive blitzes from one day to several weeks within their organization. They can designate a central coat collection point at their business or organization.
The Coat Drive was started 21 years ago by the Marks, longtime Lowcountry residents and business owners. Located at 745 Robert Smalls Parkway in Beaufort, one mile east of the Broad River Bridge, FWDG at Perimeter Walk is the only one-stop-shop for home furniture and fixtures in Beaufort.
For additional information about FWDG or the Coat Drive, please call Larry Mark at 843-524-8695.