Word is: Decision on Maersk shipping pullout could come Monday (update: semi-confirmed)

Image by US Army Corps of EngineersImage by 20090430-port.jpg

Update May 5: Charleston will have to wait a bit for the verdict. Read more.

Update May 4: Well we can expect some news today, as The Post and Courier says the port will have an "emergency board meeting" today.

Check out the story.

The Charleston Regional Business Journal has also added a story that further expands on when we can expect a "final" decision and what the players are expecting. Read that one here.

First reporting:

Rounds of negotiations to keep the Port of Charleston's biggest customer -- Maersk --may culminate on Monday, May 4, according to this little bit of gossip over at FITSNews .

Read more stories on this subject in our port topic page.If the world's biggest shipper does decide to stay put (in any fashion), expect our state to breath a huge sigh of relief.

For those of you not following along, Maersk represents some 20% of all container traffic at Charleston's port, the key component in an industry that's responsible for some $45 billion in economic activity in South Carolina.

Filed in