North Strand Housing Shelter rebuilding after small electrical fire

The North Strand Housing Shelter is rebuilding the wiring, insulation and some structural components after a fire displaced 10 people more than two weeks ago.

An electrical shortage in the fan/light combination in a bathroom caused a small fire which smoldered part of the shelter, said Dana Black, executive director.

“We’ve got people sleeping on the floors of businesses and in sleeping bags in homes,” Black said. “It’s going to take a couple of weeks to get the shelter back up.”

Black said a few families have taken in some people from the shelter, including a family of four. Since nobody knows exactly when the shelter will reopen, Black said the compassion of those families is extraordinary.