Flickr user ckphotography
Updated July 18: There's been a bit of confusion regarding when the School Closure Task Force will makes its recommendations to the board of education.
Hopefully we can clarify some of that for you.
According to what we've seen from emails circulating and a Facebook post from a Beaufort County School District employee, the board which meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Beaufort County Council Chambers, will not receive a report from the task force at that meeting.
That 6 p.m. meeting could be an important opportunity for the school board to hear from the public, however.
The task force will meet again from 3 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at Okatie Elementary School.
The task force then is expected to report its recommendations and findings to the school board during a work session Thursday, and the board could deliberate the recommendations during another work session Friday.
Agendas for two-day work session have not been posted.
Reported July 15: The Beaufort County School District is still looking to trim millions from the 2012-13 school year budget, and that's making many a school subject to possible closure.
Most recently, this issue has been in the news thanks to the gaze falling on Port Royal Elementary School and the community being none too happy.
A total of eight schools are up for possible elimination: James J. Davis Early Childhood Education Center, Hilton Head Island Early Childhood Center, Broad River Elementary, Shell Point Elementary, Shanklin Elementary, Lady's Island Elementary, Port Royal Elementary, and Robert Smalls Middle School.
On Tuesday, July 19, the School Closure Task Force was due to deliver its recommendations at the school board meeting. However, it has opted to meet again on Wednesday, July 20, at a to-be-announced location (we'll be sure to let you know).
The school board was originally expected to make a preliminary recommendation on Thursday, July 21, but with the task force's additional meeting, that decision may be delayed.
A final decision is expected October 1.
If you'd like to share your thoughts directly, the school task force members are listed below by the regions they represent and the Facebook group Save PRES has a list of the school board contact info.
Hilton Head Island Cluster
- John Duncan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kim Bratt Kim.Bratt@beaufort.k12.sc.us
- Larry Meyers email@example.com
Battery Creek Cluster
- Michelle Morgan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Ellen Parks MaryEllen.Parks@beaufort.k12.sc.us
- Christine Jeter email@example.com
- Emily Bierman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Kathleen Corley Kathleen.Corley@beaufort.k12.sc.us
- William C. Shumake email@example.com
- Teresa Jepson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donald Gruel Donald.Gruel@beaufort.k12.sc.us
- Herb Gray email@example.com
Whale Branch Cluster
- Deenie Everly firstname.lastname@example.org
- Priscilla Drake Priscilla.Drake@beaufort.k12.sc.us
- Joe Kline email@example.com